Friday, October 23, 2009

Wedding Planning During Times of Sadness

The process of planning a wedding is a long and winding road. Throughout a year plus long engagement many different life events can occur. Some very happy like new babies being born and some on the sadder end. It can be a strange road for a bride to be.

My family has gone through many sad events over the course of my engagement. I know I'm not alone in this as I have read similar stories from my fellow bloggers. I have seen their stories of grief and hardship as they attempt to continue to plan their wedding and they have all inspired me with their strength and hope in love and their future. It is an on-going emotional roller coaster while planning a wedding, a milestone in itself. So it is an interesting conundrum when we are faced with these times of grief and struggle as we continue to plan for this event that symbolizes happiness and life.

In speaking with my mom tonight, her thoughtful words truly crystallized the struggle. I spoke to her about how selfish it felt at times to worry about such frivolous details while my loved ones are grappling with the sudden decline in multiple family members' health and the loss of two beloved dogs. My mom reminded me that a marriage is about a hopeful and promised future, between not only the wife and the husband but the extended family. It is a renewed vow to truly cherish the loved ones that you are surrounded by everyday and a reminder to always let them know the impact they have on your life.

No comments:

Technorati